Many fans arrived to cheer for the Celtics on what became known as the Green Line with its outdoor station on the Causeway Street elevated tracks. The station opened in 1912 to serve North Union Station and continued when Boston Garden was built on top of a new North Station in 1928. The outdoor station closed in 1997, two years after the Garden closed its own doors, and the “Big Dig” got started. A new underground station later opened in 2004.
Photo by Dick Raphael/NBAE via Getty Images